Our goal is to provide the highest quality of instruction and the most unique and versatile self-defense training possible. To this end, we offer various programs structured around authentic Kenpo Karate---the American Martial Art!
- Private Lessons.
- Group Workouts & Sparring for Adults and Children.
- Special Family Programs.
At Taylor's Kenpo Karate Studio, we encourage family participation and involvement in karate classes. Special arrangements and discounts are availible to allow family members and friends to jointly receive the benefits of our training.
- One family member pays--the rest study at no extra charge.
- 2 for 1--study with a friend at no additional charge.
**Certain restrictions apply--contact studio for details.
What is Kenpo Karate?
Kenpo Karate is both an ancient and modern method of self-development and self-defense. Kenpo is based on the SHAOLIN system of CH'UAN FA ("fist law") but in actuality is a combination of martial arts and philosophies from five different cultures: Chinese, Japanese, Okinawan, Native Hawaiian and American. A true blending of inner and outer strengths, Kenpo helps you develop grace and power, as well as coordination, stamina and speed. The basic movements are derived from animal forms: the dragon, snake, tiger, leopard and crane. Through Kenpo instruction, you will learn proper breathing techniques and movements utilizing the natural weapons of the body--the hands and feet. By developing breath control, muscle tone, quick reflexes and agility, you may discover a new inner harmony and outer ability which can help you in all facets of life.
Private Lessons are What Sets Taylor's Apart from the Rest.
It is our unique concept of personalized, private instruction that has set Taylor's apart from all other schools of self-defense. By working one-on-one with your own personal instructor, you are able to achieve a greater degree of proficiency. Most importantly, private instruction means that anyone can learn to defend themselves--regardless of age, athletic experience or learning ability. Additionally, all of our tests are also private. No student ever need feel embarrassed about being a beginner; we were all beginners once. Our instructors are here to guide and support you on your journey. At Taylor's, you will find much more than just a school--we are a family and a community commited to supporting one another and our art.
In conjuction with our special program of individualized, personal instruction, students may also elect to participate in supplemental group training classes at no additional cost. Group classes emphasize basics, conditioning, flexibility, coordination, developing muscle tone and building endurance. This unique combination of private instruction and group classes allows us to offer our students the most versatile and comprehensive self-defense program availible.
At Taylor's we emphasize building confidence and self-esteem by employing the Four Cornerstones of Bushido: Honesty, Courtesy, Respect and Discipline.
About the Owner
Hank Taylor began his Kenpo training in the late '70's under the direction of Masters Jay T. Will and Herb Lamprecht in Columbus, Ohio. After many years of hard training, Hank was awarded his 3rd degree black belt. Mr. Taylor openned his first studio in Lancaster, Ohio in 1988 just a few doors down from his current location. He has been in continuous operation at various locations in the city ever since, and has promoted over fifty students to the rank of Black Belt. Some of these student now operate their own successful studios throughout the US. In 1990, Mr. Taylor produced and hosted a series of Kenpo Karate instructional videotapes marketed nationwide in Black Belt magazine. From 1991-1993, he promoted the largest open karate tournament in the state of Ohio, The Ohio Open. Hank currently serves on the board of directors for the Unied Kenpo Karate Association, based out of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, with members worldwide. And in June 1998, Hank was promoted to the rank of 5th degree Black Belt by Master Al Tracy of Lexington, Kentucky. Mr. Taylor continues to promote the art and growth of Kenpo Karate through his teaching.
- We pledge that the individualized training offered only at Taylor's Kenpo Karate Studio will provide you with the best in self-defense and martial arts instruction.
- We recognize each student as and individual with different needs, abilities and emotions. We utilize a unique combination of private instruction and group lessons with each student to help develop his or her maximum potential.
- We treat all students with respect. The student is of the utmost importance at Taylor's: he or she is the whole reason for our existence! No student ever need feel embarrassed about being a beginner--we were all beginners once!
- We teach the use of the art of Kenpo Karate solely for the purpose of defense--never aggression. We convey an attitude of respect for the teachings of karate and an understanding of the responsibility that such knowledge entails.
- We recognize that each student comes to us with his or her own unique needs and that it is our responsibility to deal with each student honestly, accurately and with integrity.